Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Training for my First Triathlon

I have officially registered for the Alagames Sprint Triathlon on June 19th. http://www.alagames.com/index.php?page=sport_tria

I jumped into this thing with both feet. I found a sprint triathlon in September and thought I could definitely be ready for that. When I told Mr Ironman Keith, he said “why do a sprint in September? You can do that now!” Don’t ever put an idea in my head that half-way seems like a good idea. I will run with it whether it is or not. So I found one in June. Yes that’s next month. Exactly 24 days from today. I’ve been training for a few weeks now so wish me luck. At first, I thought I was surely crazy (and I may be) but I am so pumped! I’ve taken some private swim lessons and practiced a lot, bought a bike which I LOVE LOVE LOVE, and have starting getting up before the crack of dawn for some practice runs.

Speaking of running, I participated in the Jubilee CityFest 8k last week. I can say, without a doubt, that was THE hardest course I have ever run. I talked with a few people afterward that agreed that the Seaside Half-Marathon was a walk in the park compared to 5 miles of grueling hills in 99% humidity. That being said, I finished with the help of my friend Justin who refused to leave me no matter how many times I told him just to go. Our goal was 52 minutes and we finished at 51:26. All things considered, I’m pretty happy with that. We are all smiles after the race!



In my mind, if I can finish that, I can do a 5k after a swim and bike. Right? Good. So that’s the latest on my training. I am not following a training plan because there wasn’t one for 6 weeks out from your first sprint triathlon. I’ve written down an aggressive schedule and am doing my best to stick to it. I thought the swim would be the most difficult but I’m actually starting to enjoy it and, as I’ve said already, I LOVE riding my bike. I can’t wait to get the pedals and shoes this weekend. I plan to do a brick (bike, run) while down in PC this weekend. Plan to see my update on how that goes.

One more exciting piece of news: Disney the week after the triathlon!!!! Woohoo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment