Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gulf Coast Triathlon May 2010

No, I was not a competitor. Last year, I reconnected with a high school buddy that was such a great friend that I don't know how we lost touch to begin with anyway. Fast forward to 2010 and the invention of Facebook and the band is back together! So I met up with my buddy, Keith, back in December to catch up and he told me he was training for a 70.3 triathlon. I was so inspired that I even signed up for my first half-marathon which I did a few months later. He was one of the first people I called when I finished it and I told him there was no way I was missing his event. It happened to work out perfectly that the GCT was on Mother's Day weekend so I was able to spend time with my mom and grandma AND go support Keith.

I went to the Expo Friday night and finally picked up my 13.1 sticker (in pink, of course) which I'm proudly displaying on the back window of my car. I hung out with some of my Panama City girls (Nicki and Kim) while we waited for Keith and his girlfriend, Megan. Once they were done with their carb-load pre-race dinner, we met up with them.

Here's what I LOVE about most runners: There's a common thread. Keith introduced me to two of his friends, Chris and Aaron. Chris was competing the following day and Aaron had a booth at the Expo. I had just met both of these guys and we talked as if we had been friends forever. Aaron even remembered me from the Seaside half-marathon where he had a booth at the Expo and what I was looking for that day (pink calf sleeves). He and I talked for the longest time about running and marathons and which ones were his favorites and recommendations. I don't typically connect with people quickly but the Panama City running community is phenomenally warm and welcoming. 
Back to the triathlon! Okay, I've been kicking myself about this since the day of the event. I missed the swim portion. I know! What kind of crappy friend misses the beginning of the race??? I do. First of all, I don't have pictures of it.  When I get some from Keith, I will post them. I made it to the turn-around for the bike portion and waited for Keith. I really started getting excited cheering for the competitors. One of the things that touched me the most was that so many of them smiled, waved, or said "Thanks for coming out." I didn't think I deserved a thanks for just standing and cheering. I was reminded later of how those cheers from spectators got me through 13.1 miles at Seaside and I was so glad that I could be a part of that for these guys. Eight minutes earlier than I expected him, Keith showed up. He caught me so off -guard that I don't even think I got a good picture! So I'm waiting for that one to be emailed too. About 5 minutes after Keith passed, I heard a familiar voice from the Expo say "Hey!" It was my new friend, Chris! So I got to cheer them both on and I did manage to get a picture of Chris.


After I saw the guys, I headed toward the beach to see Keith at the transition from bike to run.  I didn't take into account the parking situation.  I had to park and walk and got there just in time to see Keith and his buddy, AJ, go past.  From there I met up with Megan and AJ's wife and mom.  I jumped in the car and we were on the hunt to find the guys.  We parked at Schooners and waited for them.  Cheering the running portion was a different experience than the cycling.  The sun had come out and it was HOT and HUMID and you could tell these guys were ready to finish.  Just a few miles to go!  Keith is checking his watch.


Once the guys passed, we jumped back in the car to meet them at the finish line.  I had my first experience with watching people finish something BIG at the Mardi Gras Marathon in NOLA when my friend, Allison finished her first full marathon.  There is just something about watching people finish something you know they've put months of training into doing.  I love it! Once again, I don't have a great picture of Keith finishing but here is one a few minutes after he finished in 6 hours 10 minutes.  Way to go!  He was breathing and talking and everything!



Okay, so I told you all that I'm new to blogging.  I was kind of all over the place and I'm still playing with picture placement, fonts, etc.  Bear with me. 

So, I had so much fun and was so inspired by my friends and all the competitors that I've decided to try out a sprint triathlon.  The swim is the part that is going to whoop me.  I'm just not an efficient swimmer.  But I want to do this and I have my first private swim lesson tomorrow to work on my breathing and technique.  Will keep you all posted on my training.

If you've never had the opportunity to be a spectator or volunteer at a race, I highly encourage both.  Keith has suggested I might want to volunteer at the full IronMan in November.  I think I will!  Thanks to all my friends, new and old, that shared in my Gulf Coast Triathlon experience.  Can't wait til the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment