Monday, May 31, 2010

Mama's Got New Shoes...And Pedals!

I thought when I bought my bike there was no way I’d ever be able to do clipless pedals (which you actually clip onto but they’re called clipless. Whatever). Two weeks of LOVING my bike and I knew I had to take the plunge, even if that means a painful one. So I did a little research, asked a few friends that have bikes, consulted with good friend and training partner Allison, and decided on some Speedplay pedals. The selling point for me was that you can clip in on either side of the pedal. With my poor coordination, that is worth the extra money.

I need to give another shout-out to Steve at The Bike Shop in PC because that guy has put some time and effort into making my biking successful. http://www.baytownbicycles.com/
It was Saturday and he was crazy busy but, while helping other customers, he was putting the clips on my shoes, had someone putting the pedals on my bike, and quickly had me in the trainer helping me get used to clipping in and out and giving me tips. When I told him I had signed up for my first triathlon, he even told me some swim drills that would help with my breathing and balance. I left there feeling much more confident than when I walked in that day.

Here they are! Yes, my pedals are pink and my shoes match my bike! I’m a girl and I love it!





The following morning I met Keith for what started earlier in the week as a bike/run brick and turned into a “Hey, let’s swim too!” swim/bike/run brick. This was great because it was my first open water swim and helped me get accustomed to the waves, the lack of a line beneath me, etc. Yes, I did swallow yucky, bay water but I’m okay! Got out of the bay, rinsed my feet, and slipped on my new shoes. Keith informed me that I don’t need socks for a sprint. Hey, he’s the Ironman so who am I to question. Once again, he smoked me on the bike. I’m really going to have to figure out how to gain speed. My goal is to hang with him at least for a little while!

Off the bike, slipped into running shoes (sans socks), downed a Gu, and we were off again. I did manage to hang with him for a few minutes but decided I’d better back off if I was going to make my 3 mile goal. He got faster, I got slower. I did start to feel my running legs again after about a mile and managed to average a 10-minute mile pace for 3.22 miles. Mission accomplished! I did all three sprint distances in training! Need to work on my swimming and transitions the most. Oh, and what to do with my hair!!!! It was a mess! Overall, it was a great training morning and I didn’t fall with my new pedals. Woohoo! More to come!

1 comment: