Sunday, May 23, 2010

Monkey Bread

It dawned on me that I started my blog to talk about baking and running and I haven’t written about either!!! So here is my first baking post. Last week we had a pot-luck breakfast at work. I don’t cook anything really. I only bake. So I wondered what to bring to the breakfast that was somewhat dessert-like. I was talking about it to a friend (Allison) and she suggested I do Monkey Bread.

The first time I had Monkey Bread was probably 10 years ago and I remember it being really good and I wondered “How do you bake bread and get it to pull apart in pieces like that?” Since then, I really haven’t seen it much. Allison told me it’s totally easy to make and is even better than cinnamon rolls. That was a relief because I attempted homemade cinnamon rolls once and it did not turn out well. I looked up a recipe online and, sure enough, seems easy and delicious. You cut refrigerated biscuits into quarters (using a pizza cutter is easier than doing it with a knife), coat them in a sugar and cinnamon mixture, and arrange them in a greased bundt pan over nuts. After that, boil a stick of butter and a cup of brown sugar for a mixture that is so good it should be illegal. Pour that on top and bake.

I was pleasantly surprised when my kitchen started smelling like Cinnabon. Of course, it was 11 o’clock at night and I was digging through my pantry for something sweet to eat while waiting for the Monkey Bread to finish. Once it was done, I pulled it from the oven and it looked divine and smelled even better. I must admit that I had to quality control a few pieces to ensure it was okay to take to work the following morning. I do have a baker’s reputation to uphold! So here is the finished product and the reviews from my co-workers were great! I plan to do it again for an easy breakfast occasion. I think I’ll try it with Davis soon. He will love it (lots of sugars) and it’s easy enough that he can help prepare it.


No comments:

Post a Comment